Sunday, August 17, 2008

Characters as Art 01


















This photo was taken at the Confucian temple - it is from one of the stone slabs on which have been carved the names of all the people that had passed China's famous civil service exams. It's funny, not being able to read too many Chinese characters, I sort of see them in the abstract, and so at times they can be art for me.

Also interesting, as I was shooting a stone slab with etched characters, it was not too different than shooting a brick wall, the standard subject for testing camera lenses. Given that I was shooting in the shade, I had to shoot wide open and as I reviewed the image I noticed that the sharpness at the edges of the image were much less sharp than the centre area. This is one of the first times I have noticed the limits of my lens in practical photography (i.e. I had to crop the photo to compensate for the non-uniform sharpness, and you can still notice the less sharp characters around the edges). Interesting...

Date: August 6, 2008
Camera: Nikon D70
Lens: 18-200 AF-S DX VR
Aperture: f/3.8
Shutter speed: 1/60
ISO: 200
Focal length: 20mm (30mm equiv.)
Format: NEF

No comments: