Saturday, August 9, 2008

Opening Ceremonies

I can never really recall one Olympic opening ceremony from the next, as I find the two year gap between them a bit too long for my memory to not become hazy. That being said, China's opening ceremony was quite the sight and I was very much impressed by the dazzling show.

Like most, I was not fortunate enough to score tickets to the opening night, but I did have the privilege of watching the games on a giant projector in an air conditioned room (didn't those spectators at the Bird's Next look warm?) with a bunch of fellow Canadians on Canadian soil (i.e. the Embassy). We ordered in some pizza and had a great time watching the games. Of course a great cheer erupted when we saw the Canadian team make their Olympic entrance (after a false start with team Denmark's red and white clad athletes). Speaking with more local Chinese, I was told that the ceremony did a good job showcasing Chinese history, but since we were watching the Chinese feed (which did not have commercials) I missed a lot of that.

All in all, an impressive start to the Games. I am looking forward to catching the events on TV when I can, as well as attending my one (and probably only) Olympic event - finals for canoeing and kayaking. Woo!

G

No comments: