Monday, October 20, 2008

The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra...in Beijing?!

No, I had never had the opportunity to watch the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) perform in Vancouver. So how happy was I when I found out that they were going to be in Beijing! I got a ticket and went to watch the performance that marked the first Canadian orchestra to play in China in 30 years. The performance also featured Hilary Hahn a young and talented violinist.

I am no expert on classical music, but the performance was a joy to watch. Hilary Hahn performed three encore performances prior to the intermission before the over-zealous(?) crowd let her depart the stage. The VSO also did three encore performances, though these seemed to be anticipated. One of the encore pieces, entitled Nimrod, was dedicated to Canada-China relations and was very well received.

Watching the VSO perform was on my check list of things to do in life, and I am glad that I got to check that one off. I just did not expect to check it off in Beijing.

G

No comments: